Print View

[Section Index]

1The Divorce Act, 1869

( ACT NO. IV OF 1869 )

Chapter VIII


Husband may claim damages from adulterer
34. Any husband may, either in a petition for dissolution of marriage or for judicial separation, or in a petition to the District Court or the High Court Division limited to such object only, claim damages from any person on the ground of his having committed adultery with the wife of such petitioner.
Such petition shall be served on the alleged adulterer and the wife unless the Court dispenses with such service, or directs some other service to be substituted.
The damages to be recovered on any such petition shall be ascertained by the said Court, although the respondents or either of them may not appear.
After the decision has been given, the Court may direct in what manner such damages shall be paid or applied.

  • 1
    Throughout this Act, except otherwise provided, the words “Bangladesh”, “Government”, "High Court Division" and "Appellate Division" were substituted, for the words “Pakistan”, “Provincial Government” or “the said Government”, "High Courts" or "High Court" or "a High Court" and "Supreme Court" respectively by section 3 and 2nd Schedule of the Bangladesh Laws (Revision And Declaration) Act, 1973 (Act No. VIII of 1973).
Copyright © 2019, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division
Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs