Print View

[Section Index]

1The Divorce Act, 1869

( ACT NO. IV OF 1869 )

Chapter III


When wife may petition for dissolution
Any wife may present a petition to the District court or to the High Court Division, praying that her marriage may be dissolved on the ground that, since the solemnization thereof, her husband has exchanged his profession of Christianity for the profession of some other religion, and gone through a form of marriage with another woman;
or has been guilty of incestuous adultery,
or of bigamy with adultery,
or of marriage with another woman with adultery,
or of rape, sodomy or bestiality,
or of adultery coupled with such cruelty as without adultery would have entitled her to a divorce mensa et toro,
or of adultery coupled with desertion, without reasonable excuse, for two years or upwards.

  • 1
    Throughout this Act, except otherwise provided, the words “Bangladesh”, “Government”, "High Court Division" and "Appellate Division" were substituted, for the words “Pakistan”, “Provincial Government” or “the said Government”, "High Courts" or "High Court" or "a High Court" and "Supreme Court" respectively by section 3 and 2nd Schedule of the Bangladesh Laws (Revision And Declaration) Act, 1973 (Act No. VIII of 1973).
Copyright © 2019, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division
Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs