68. (1) When any goods are water-borne for the purpose of being landed from any vessel and warehoused or cleared for home-consumption, or of being shipped for exportation on board any vessel, there shall be sent, with each boat-load or other separate despatch, a boat-note specifying the number of packages so sent and the marks or number or other description thereof.
(2) Each boat-note for goods to be landed shall be signed by an officer of the vessel, and likewise by the officer of Customs on board, if any such officer be on board, and shall be delivered on arrival to any officer of Customs authorised to receive the same.
(3) Each boat-note for goods to be shipped shall be signed by the appropriate officer and, if an officer of Customs is on board the vessel on which such goods are to be shipped, shall be delivered to such officer, and if no such officer be on board, shall be delivered to the master of the vessel or to an officer of the vessel appointed by him to receive it.
(4) The officer of Customs who receives any boat-note of goods landed, and the officer of Customs, master or other officer as the case may be, who receives any boat-note of goods shipped, shall sign the same and note thereon such particulars as the Commissioner of Customs may from time to time direct.
(5) The Board may from time to time, by notification in the official Gazette, suspend the operation of this section in any customs-port or part thereof.