Duties and powers of the Vice-Chancellor
13. (1) The Vice-Chancellor shall be a whole-time principal academic and executive officer of the University and shall, in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at the convocation of the University. He shall be an ex-officio member and Chairman of the Senate, the Syndicate, the Academic Council, the Finance Committee and other Statutory Committees save as otherwise provided in this Act and shall be entitled to be present and to speak at any meeting of any Authority or body of the University but shall not be entitled to vote thereat unless he is a member of the Authority or body concerned.
(2) It shall be the duty of the Vice-Chancellor to see that this Act, the Statutes and the University Ordinances are faithfully observed, and he shall have all powers necessary for this purpose.
(3) In an emergency arising out of the business of the University and requiring, in the opinion of the Vice-Chancellor immediate action, the Vice-Chancellor may take such action as he may deem necessary and shall report for approval of the action so taken to the Authority concerned at the earliest opportunity.
(4) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the right to visit Colleges and other institutions affiliated to the University.
(5) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to appoint, on a purely temporary basis, ordinarily for a period not more than six months, teachers (other than Professors), officers (other than statutory officers), administrative and subordinate staff and report such action to the Syndicate.
(6) The Vice-Chancellor may, subject to such conditions as may be prescribed, delegate any of his powers to such officers of the University as he may determine.
(7) The Vice-Chancellor shall have the right to call meetings of the Senate, the Syndicate, the Academic Council, the Finance Committee and other Statutory Committees save as otherwise provided in this Act.
(8) The Vice-Chancellor shall exercise such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes, University Ordinances and Regulations.
(9) The Vice-Chancellor shall give effect to the decisions of the Syndicate regarding appointments, dismissal and suspension of the officers and the University teachers, and shall exercise general control over the members of the University. He shall be responsible for the discipline of the University in accordance with this Act, the Statutes and the University Ordinances.
(10) In case of the Vice-Chancellor not agreeing with the resolution of any Authority or body of the University, the Vice-Chancellor shall have the power to withhold implementation of the resolution and refer in back to the Authority or body concerned with his opinion for reconsideration in its next regular meeting. If in the process of reconsideration the body or Authority concerned does not agree with the Vice-Chancellor, the decision of the Syndicate thereon shall be final.