The Chittagong Port Authority Ordinance, 1976
NO. LII OF 1976
ESTABLISHMENT OF THE AUTHORITY
Establishment of the Authority
4. (1) With effect from such date as the Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, appoint, there shall be established an Authority for Chittagong Port to be called the Chittagong Port Authority for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance.
(2) The Authority shall be a body corporate, having perpetual succession and a common seal, with power, subject to the provisions of this Ordinance, to acquire, hold and dispose of [, by lien, mortgage, sell, alienation or otherwise] property, both movable and immovable, and shall by the said name sue and be sued.
5. (1) The general direction and management of the Authority and its affairs shall vest in a Board which may exercise all powers and do all acts and things which may be exercised done by the Authority.
(2) The Board in discharging its functions shall be guided on questions of policy by such directions as may be given to it, from time to time, by the Government.
6. (1) The Board of the Authority shall consist of a Chairman and not more than [four other members] to be appointed by the Government.
(2) The Chairman and other members shall be full-time officers of the Authority and shall hold office on such terms and conditions as may be determined by the Government.
(3) The Chairman shall be the chief executive officer of the Authority.
(4) The Chairman and other members shall perform such functions and discharge such duties as are assigned to them by or under this Ordinance.
7. (1) The meetings of the Board shall be held at such times and places and in such manner as may be provided by regulations:
Provided that, until regulations are made in this behalf, the meetings of the Board shall be held as and when convened by the Chairman.
(2) To constitute a quorum at a meeting of the Board not less than two members shall be present.
(3) At a meeting of the Board each member shall have one vote, and in the event of equality of votes the Chairman shall have a second or casting vote.
(4) The meetings of the Board shall be presided over by the Chairman, and, in his absence, by a member elected for the purpose by the members present.
(5) No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board.
8. The Government may, in consultation with the Authority, appoint an Advisory Committee consisting of such number of persons as it may think fit for the purpose of advising the Authority in respect of such matters as may be referred to it by Authority or by the Government.
Copyright © 2019, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division
Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs