Power to specify kinds or varieties of seeds
[5. (1) The Government shall regulate the quality of seed of any kind or variety to be sold and used for the purposes of agriculture. If the Government after consultation with the Board is of opinion that it is necessary or expedient to regulate sale, distribution, bartering or otherwise supplying, and import of seed of any kind or variety, it may, by notification in the Official Gazette, specify such kind or variety to be a notified kind or variety for the purposes of this Ordinance and different kinds or varieties may be notified for different areas.
(2) New varieties of non-notified crops developed by public or private agencies will be subject to approval and certification by the Board before being released.
(3) New varieties of notified crops developed by public agencies will be subject to approval by, and be registered with the Board before being released.
(4) Varieties of non-notified crops those are imported or locally developed by a private agency shall be registered with the Board giving prescribed cultivar description.
(5) In the event of a seed of any kind or variety is found to be harmful or potentially harmful to agriculture in any way, the Board may prohibit the sale, distribution, bartering, or otherwise supplying, import and use of that variety and may take any other action in the interest of agriculture.
(6) Any proposal for release of new varieties of notified crops shall be examined by a Technical Committee headed by the Executive Vice-Chairman. Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), and consisting of representatives of National Agricultural Research System (NARS). Seed Certification Agency, Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC), private sector Seed Growers and Farmers Associations and make recommendation to the Board.
(7) Proposal for release of new varieties of non-notified crops developed by any public agency shall be subject to examination by the Technical Committee formed under sub-section (6).]