Powers of Seed Inspectors
14. (1) The Seed Inspector may-
(a) take samples of any seed of [any kind or variety] from-
(i) any person selling such seed; or
(ii) any person who is, in the course of conveying, delivering or preparing to deliver such seed to a purchaser or a consignee; or
(iii) a purchaser or a consignee after delivery of such seed to him;
(b) send such sample for analysis to the Seed Analyst for the area within which such sample has been taken;
(c) exercise such other powers as may be necessary for carrying out the purposes of this Ordinance or any rule made thereunder.
(2) Where any sample of any seed of [any kind or variety] is taken under clause (a) of sub-section (1), its cost, calculated at the rate at which such seed is usually sold to the public, shall be paid on demand to the person from whom it is taken.
(3) The power conferred by this section includes power to break open any container in which any seed of [any kind or variety] may be contained or to break open the door of any premises where any such seed may be kept for sale:
Provided that the power to break open the door shall be exercised only after the owner or any other person in occupation of the premises, if he is present therein, refuses to open the door on being called open to do so.
(4) Where the Seed Inspector takes any [action] under clause (a) of sub-section (1), he shall, as far as possible, call not less than two persons to be present at the time when such action is taken and take their signatures on a memorandum to be prepared in the prescribed form and manner.
(5) The provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898
(Act V of 1898) shall, so far as may be, apply to any search or seizure made this section as they apply to any search or seizure made under the authority of a warrant issued under section 98 of the said Code.