Constitution of the Board
8. (1) the Board shall consist of [seventeen] members who shall serve in their individual capacity as follows:-
(a) three members nominated by the Government;
(b) a member nominated by the Director-General of the World Health Organisation;
[(bb) a member to be nominated by a United Nations agency other than the World Health Organisation to be specified by the Government;]
(c) the Director of the Centre; and
(d) eleven members at large, who shall be chosen initially by the Interim Committee, comprising as members of the Interim Committee those Governments and organisations under sub-sections (1) and (2) of section 6.
(2) At any given time, no country shall have more than two members except for Bangladesh under sub-section (1).
(3) At any given time, the Board shall be so composed that, not counting the members nominated [under clauses (b) and (bb) of sub-section (1)] , more than 50% must come from the developing countries, including the members nominated by Bangladesh, and not less than one-third from developed countries. The Director shall be counted as coming from the developed or developing countries depending upon nationality.
(4) The members shall be individuals qualified to serve by reason of scientific, research, administrative or other appropriate experience.
(5) Except for the Director, all members shall be appointed to fill three-year terms, except for members of the initial Board. In the initial Board, all members except the Director shall be divided into three classes of approximately equal numbers, these classes serving terms of one, two and three years respectively. The Board shall decide how many members shall be in each class, and the members of each class shall be chosen by lot.
(6) Vacancies in seats of members at large shall be filled by the Board. A member appointed to a vacancy arising from a cause other than the normal expiration of a term shall serve for the remainder of the term of the member being replaced. [Subject to provision of sub-section (1) of section 13, no Member] may serve more than two consecutive three-year terms or portion thereof, except that a member serving a term of less than three years on the initial Board may serve two consecutive three-year terms immediately thereafter.