Certificate of Competency
83. (1) The Director-General shall grant Certificate of Competency for various grades of service in different trades in a ship after conducting such examinations or tests as may be prescribed.
(2) No seaman, master or pilot shall be employed or engaged for service on board a ship unless he has the requisite Certificate of Competency granted under sub-section (1).
(3) No person shall be granted a Certificate of Competency under sub-section (1) for employment or engagement on board a ship of or above sixteen hundred tons as a radio officer or operator unless he has-
(a) such maritime radio communication general certificate as may be determined by the Director-General;
(b) at least six months' sea-service as a trainee radio officer or operator;
(c) successfully completed survival craft course, fire-fighting course and first-aid course.
(4) Notwithstanding anything contained in this section, the Director-General may relax the requirement of this section in respect of a person if-
(a) such person satisfies the Director-General that he is reasonably capable of discharging the duties and responsibilities of the trade for which he is sought to be employed or engaged;
84. (1) A Certificate of Competency granted to a seaman, master or pilot by any authority in Bangladesh under any law for the time being in force before the commencement of the Bangladesh Merchant Shipping (Amendment) Act, 1988 shall be recognised as equivalent to a Certificate of Competency granted under this Chapter.
(2) A Certificate of Competency granted to a seaman, master or pilot by any authority outside Bangladesh may be recognised by the Director-General, by an order notified in the official Gazette, as equivalent to a Certificate of Competency granted under this Chapter.
(3) All provisions of this Ordinance relating to Certificate of Competency granted under this Chapter shall apply to such Certificate of Competency recognised under sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) and the recognition of any such Certificate may be suspended or withdrawn on the same ground and in the same manner as a Certificate of Competency granted by the Director-General under this Chapter is suspended or cancelled.