Time of payment of wages
146. (1) The master or owner of every ship discharging a seaman under this Ordinance shall pay to every seaman his wages within five days of the seaman's discharge and the seaman shall at the time of his discharge be entitled to be paid on account a sum equal to one fourth part of the balance due to him.
(2) If the seaman consents, the final settlement of his wages may be left to the Shipping Master, and the receipt of the Shipping Master shall in that case operate as if it were a release given by the seaman in accordance with this Chapter.
(3) In the event of the seaman's wages or any part thereof, not being settled under sub section (2), then, unless the delay is due to the act or default of the seaman, or to any reasonable dispute as to liability or to any other cause not being the wrongful act or default of the owner or master, the seaman's wages shall continue to run and be payable until the time of the final settlement thereof.
(4) Except in a case where final settlement of wages is left to a Shipping Master under sub section (2), if a master or owner fails without reasonable cause to make payment as required by sub section (1), he shall pay to the seaman such sum not exceeding the amount of two days' pay for each of the days during which the payment is delayed as may be decided by the Shipping Master in each case.
(5) Any sum payable under sub section (4) may be recovered from the master or owner as wages.