Suspension of registration
43. (1) If any registering authority or other prescribed authority has reason to believe that any motor vehicle within its jurisdiction,-
(a) is in such condition that its use in a public place would constitute a danger to the public, or that it fails to comply with the requirements of Chapter VI or of the [regulations] made thereunder, or
(b) has been or is being used, for hire or reward without a valid permit for being used as such, or has been or is being used without a valid certificate of fitness;
the authority may, after giving the owner an opportunity of making any representation he may wish to make (by sending to the owner a notice by registered post acknowledgement due at his address entered in the certificate of registration) for reasons to be recorded in writing, suspend the certificate of registration of the vehicle -
(i) in any case falling under clause (a), until the defects are remedied to its satisfaction; and
(ii) in any case falling under clause (b), for a period not exceeding six months.
(2) An authority other than a registering authority shall, when making a suspension order under sub section (1), intimate in writing the fact of suspension and the reasons therefore to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction the vehicle is at the time of the suspension.
(3) Where the registration of a motor vehicle has been suspended under sub section (1) for a continuous period of not less than one month, the registering authority, within whose jurisdiction the vehicle was when the registration was suspended, shall, if it is not the original registering authority, inform that authority of the suspension; and when the suspension has continued without interruption for a period of not less than six months, the registering authority within whose jurisdiction, the vehicle was when the registration was suspended, may, if it is the original registering authority, cancel the registration, and if it is not the original registering authority, shall forward the certificate of registration to that authority which may cancel it forthwith.
(4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall, on the demand of a registering authority or other prescribed authority which has suspended the certificate of registration of the vehicle under this section, surrender the certificate of registration and any token or card issued to authorise the use of vehicle in a public place.
(5) A certificate of registration and any token or card surrendered under sub-section (4) shall be returned to the owner when the order suspending registration has been rescind and not before.