Special requirements for registration of transport vehicle
46. (1) Having regard to the number, nature and the size of the tyres attached to the wheels of a transport vehicle, other than a motor cab, its make and model and other relevant consideration, the [Authority] may, by notification in the official Gazette, specify in relation to each make and model of a transport vehicle the maximum safe laden weight of such vehicles and the maximum safe weight of each axle of such vehicle.
(2) The registering authority, when registering transport vehicle, shall enter in the record of registration and shall also enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle the following particulars, namely:-
(a) the unladen weight of the vehicle;
(b) the number, nature and size of tyres attached to each wheel;
(c) the registered laden weight of the vehicle and the registered axle weights pertaining to the several axle thereof; and
(d) if the vehicle is used or adapted to be used for the carriage of passengers solely or in addition to goods, the number of passengers for whom accommodation is provided;
and the owner of the vehicle, shall have the same particulars of registration and the registered address of the owner exhibited in the prescribed manner on the vehicle.
(3) There shall not be entered in the certificate of registration of any such vehicle any laden weight of vehicle or a registered axle weight of any of its axle different from that specified in the notification under sub section (1) and in relation to the make and model of the vehicle and to the number, nature, and size of tyres attached to its wheels:
Provided that where it appears to the [Authority] that heavier or lighter weights than those specified in the notifications under sub section (1) may be permitted in a particular locality for vehicle of a particular type, the [Authority] may, by order in the official Gazette; direct that the provisions of this sub section shall apply with such modifications as may be specified in the order.
(4) When by reason of any alteration in such vehicle including an alteration in the number, nature or size of its tyres, the registered laden weight of the vehicle or the registered axle weight of any of its axles no longer accords with the provisions of sub section (3), the provisions of section 42 shall apply and the registering authority shall enter in the certificate of registration of the vehicle revised registered weight which accords with the said sub section.
(5) In order that registered weight entered in the certificate of registration of a vehicle may be revised in accordance with the provisions of sub section (3), the registering authority may require, the owners of transport vehicle in accordance with such procedures as may be prescribed, to produce the certificate of registration within such time as may be specified by the registering authority.
(6) Till such time the notification under sub section (1) is issued, the maximum safe laden weight of a transport vehicle and the maximum safe axle weight in respect of any of its axle may, however, be calculated in accordance with the Seventh Schedule.