Certificate of fitness of motor vehicle
47. (1) Subject to the provisions of section 48, no motor vehicle other than the motor vehicles as may be prescribed shall be deemed to be validly registered for the purposes of section 32, unless it carries a certificate of fitness in ÔÇÿForm J' as set forth in the First Schedule, issued by the Inspector of Motor Vehicles or any other prescribed authority, to the effect that the vehicle complies for the time being with all the requirements of Chapter VI and the rules made thereunder; where the Inspector of Motor Vehicles or any other prescribed authority refuses to issue such certificate, it shall supply the owner of the vehicle with its reasons in writing for such refusal.
(2) The [Authority] may make [regulations] subject to which the certificate of fitness of motor vehicles may be renewed by the registered motor workshops specially authorised in this behalf by the [Authority] by notification in the official Gazette.
[(3) Subject to the provision of sub-section (4), a certificate of fitness shall remain effective for a period of one year to be specified in the certificate by the issuing authority.]
(4) Any Inspector of Motor Vehicles or other prescribed authority may, for reasons to be recorded in writing, cancel a certificate of fitness at any time, if satisfied that the vehicle to which it relates no longer complies with all the requirements of this Ordinance and the [rules or regulations] made thereunder; and on such cancellation or on the expiry of the certificate of fitness the certificate of registration of the vehicle and any permit granted in respect of the vehicle under Chapter V shall be deemed to be suspended until a new certificate of fitness has been obtained and the owner of such motor vehicle shall surrender to the registering authority within whose jurisdiction he resides any token or card issued to authorise the use of the vehicle in a public place.
(5) Any token or card surrendered under sub section (4) shall be returned to the owner when a fresh certificate of fitness has been obtained.
(6) A Certificate of fitness issued under this Ordinance shall, while it remains effective, be valid throughout Bangladesh unless otherwise specified by the issuing authority.