Cancellation and suspension of permits
72. (1) The Transport Committee which granted a permit may cancel the permit or may suspend it for such period as it thinks fit-
(a) on the breach of any condition specified in sub section (3) of section 71, or of any condition contained in the permit, or
(b) if the holder of the permit uses or causes or allows a vehicle to be used in any manner not authorised by the permit, or
(c) if the holder of the permit ceases to own the vehicle or vehicles covered by the permit, or
(d) if the holder of the permit has obtained the permit by fraud or misrepresentation, or
(e) if the holder of the permit, not being a private carrier's permit, fails without reasonable cause to use the vehicle or vehicles for the purposes for which the permit was granted, or
(f) if the holder of the permit acquires the citizenship of any foreign country, or
(g) if the vehicle to which permit relates had bad record of accidents or if the accident was due to the use of defective vehicle:
Provided that no permit shall be cancelled unless an opportunity has been given to the holder of the permit to submit his explanation.
(2) The Transport Committee which granted a permit may, after giving the holder thereof an opportunity to furnish his explanation, reduce either permanently or for such period as it thinks fit the number of vehicle or the route or area covered by the permit on any of the grounds mentioned in sub section (1).
(3) The Transport Committee may exercise the powers conferred on it under sub sections (1) and (2) in relation to a permit granted by any authority or person to whom power in this behalf has been delegated under sub section (5) of section 54 if the said permit was a permit granted by the Transport Committee.
(4) Where a Transport Committee cancels or suspends a permit or reduces the number of vehicles or the routes or area covered by a permit, it shall give to the holder in writing its reasons for the action taken.
(5) The powers exercisable under sub section (1) or sub section (2) (other than the powers to cancel a permit) by the Transport Committee which granted the permit may be exercised by any authority or persons to whom such powers have been delegated under sub section (5) of section 54:
(i) no such authority or person shall pass an order suspending the permit for a period exceeding one month or reducing the period thereof by more than one month; and
(ii) any such order shall be placed within the said period of one month before the Transport Committee who may vacate the order or extend the said period of one month where it has not expired or cancel the permit.