Production of certificate of insurance
123. (1) Any person driving a motor vehicle in any public place shall on being so required by a police officer not below the rank of sub inspector of police in uniform authorised in this behalf by the [Authority] or any Inspector of Motor Vehicles or other persons authorised in this behalf by the [Authority] produce the certificate of insurance relating to the use of the vehicle.
(2) If, where owing to the presence of a motor vehicle in a public place an accident occurs involving bodily injury to another person, the driver of the vehicle does not at the time produce the certificate of insurance to a police officer, he shall produce the certificate of insurance at the police station at which he makes the report required by section 104.
(3) No person shall be liable to conviction under sub section (1) or sub-section (2) by reason only of the failure to produce the certificate of insurance if, within seven days from the date on which its production was required under sub section (1) or, as the case may be, from the date of occurrence of the accident, he produces the certificate to such police station as may have been specified by him to the police officer or to the other authority who required its production or, as the case may be, to the police officer at the site of the accident or to the officer in charge of the police station at which he reported the accident:
Provided that, except to such extent and with such modifications as may be prescribed, the provisions of this sub section shall not apply to the driver of a transport vehicle.
(4) The owner of a motor vehicle shall give such information as he may be required by or on behalf of a police officer empowered in this behalf by the [Authority] to give for the purpose of determining whether the vehicle was or was not being driven in contravention of section 109 and on any occasion when the driver was required under this section to produce his certificate of insurance.
(5) In this section the expression “produce his certificate of insurance” means produce for examination the relevant certificate of insurance or such other evidence as may be prescribed that the vehicle was not being driven in contravention of section 109.