Charging, appointment and recovery of expenses
10. (1) All expenses incurred by a Mines Board of Health for the purposes of this Act, other than expenses under section 7 and section 8, shall be charged to-
(a) all owners of mines in which are employed persons residing in the mining settlements which are subject to the authority of that Board, and
(b) all persons who receive any royalty, rent or fine from such mines.
(2) All expenses incurred by a Mines Board of Health under section 7, or by the Chairman thereof under section 8, whether or not they exceed the estimate prepared under the former section,
and all expenses incurred by any holder of land in executing or maintaining any work or carrying on any operations in pursuance of a notice served under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 6,
shall be charged to-
(i) all owners of mines in which are employed persons residing in the settlement or part, and
(ii) all persons who receive any royalty, rent or fine from such mines:
Provided that, if it can be shown to the satisfaction of the Board that the insanitary condition is distinctly referable to any act or omission on the part of one or more mine-owners in respect to his or their property, the Board may direct that the expenses incurred shall be payable by such owner or owners only.
(3) Save in the case specified in the proviso to sub-section (2), the expenses referred to in sub-sections (1) and (2) shall be charged to the said owners and persons in such proportions as the Government may, from time to time, direct:
Provided that the assessment shall be based-
(i) in the case of owners of mines, on the output of their mines; and
(ii) in the case of the receivers of any royalty, rent or fine, on the road cess payable by such persons.
(4) All expenses chargeable under this section shall be recoverable as if they were arrears of land-revenue.
[(4a) The expenses due from any owner in respect of any mine shall, subject to the prior payment of the land-revenue (if any), due to the Government thereupon, be a first charge upon the said mine, and upon the movable property (if any) found within such mine and belonging to the said owner.]
(5) When any expenses incurred by any holder of land in executing or maintaining any work or carrying on any operations in pursuance of a notice served under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 6, have been recovered, they shall be repaid to him:
Provided that, if any question arises as to the amount of expenses incurred by such landholder, the award of the Mines Board of Health shall, subject to an appeal to the Commissioner, be final.