4. (1) The Commission shall consist of the following members, namely:-
(a) a Chairman to be appointed by the Government;
[(b) at least two, but not exceeding five, as may be determined by the Government, other members to be appointed by the Government;]
(c) three Vice-Chancellors of the Universities by rotation;
(d) three Deans or Professors of the Universities by rotation;
(e) three members to be nominated by the Government, of whom one shall be a member of the Planning Commission, one shall be the Secretary, Ministry of Education and Cultural Affairs, and the other shall be a representative of the Ministry of Finance not below the rank of a Secretary.
(2) The Chairman and other full-time members of the Commission shall be appointed from amongst persons who are eminent educationists or who have acquired extensive experience of University administration or who have achieved academic distinctions:
Provided that a person serving under the Government shall not be eligible for appointment as a Chairman or other full-time member of the Commission.
(3) The Chairman and other full-time members of the Commission shall hold office for a period of four years on such terms and conditions as the Government may determine:
Provided that the Chairman shall be eligible for holding office for a second term.
(4) The three Vice-Chancellors shall hold office as members of the Commission for a period of two years by rotation in such manner and order as may be determined by the Vice-Chancellors of the Universities.
(5) The three Deans or Professors shall hold office as members of the Commission for a period of two years by rotation in such manner and order as may be determined by the Vice-Chancellors of the Universities:
Provided that such Deans or Professors shall be from the Universities whose Vice-Chancellors are not members of the Commission.
(6) The two part-time members of the Commission nominated by the Government shall hold office for such period as the Government may determine.
(7) The Chairman shall not be removed from his office except on the like grounds and in the like manner as a Judge of the High Court, but any other full-time member may be removed from his office by the Government after consultations with the Chairman.
(8) No act or proceeding of the Commission shall be invalid merely on the ground of existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Commission.