National Seed Board
3. (1) The Government shall, as soon as may be after the commencement of this Ordinance, constitute a Board to be called the National Seed Board to advise the Government on matters arising out of the administration of this Ordinance and to carry out the other functions assigned to it by or under this Ordinance.
[(2) The Board shall consist of the following members, namely-
(a) Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture, who shall also be the Chairman of the Board;
(b) Vice Chancellor, Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU), Mymensingh;
(c) Executive Chairman, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Council (BARC), Dhaka;
(d) Chairman, Bangladesh Agricultural Development Corporation (BADC), Dhaka;
(e) Director General, Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE), Dhaka;
(f) Director General, Bangladesh Rice Research Institute (BRRI), Gazipur;
(g) Director General, Bangladesh Agricultural Research Institute (BARI), Dhaka;
(h) Director General, Bangladesh Jute Research Institute (BJRI), Dhaka;
(i) Director General, Bangladesh Institute of Nuclear Agriculture (BINA), Mymensingh;
(j) Director General, Bangladesh Sugarcane Research Institute (BSRI), Pabna;
(k) Executive Director, Cotton Development Board, Dhaka;
(l) Member Director (Seed), Bangladesh Agriculture Development Corporation (BADC), Dhaka;
(m) Director, Seed Certification Agency (SCA), Gazipur;
(n) Director, Soil Resource Development Institute (SRDI);
(o) Director, Plant Protection Wing, Department of Agricultural Extension (DAE);
(p) a representative of the Ministry of Finance (Finance Division), not below the rank of Joint Secretary;
(q) a representative of the Private Seed Dealers and Merchants Association;
(r) a representative of the Private Seed Growers;
(s) a representative from the farmer's community; and
(t) Director General (Seed), Ministry of Agriculture, Dhaka-Member Secretary.]
(3) [Omitted by section 3 of the Seeds (Amendment) Act, 2005 (Act No. XXVI of 2005).]
(4) The Government shall provide the Board with such clerical and other staff as it may consider necessary.
(5) The Government shall, by notification in the official Gazette, publish the [names and designations] of all the members of the Board and thereupon the Board shall be deemed to be constituted.
(6) [Omitted by section 3 of the Seeds (Amendment) Act, 1997 (Act No. XIII of 1997).]
[(7) The Government may, at any time, terminate the appointment of a member of the Board without assigning any reason. The tenure of the members of the Board representing Private Seed Dealers and Merchants, Private Seed Growers, and Farmer's Community shall be for a period of three years.]
(8) When a member of the Board dies, resigns or otherwise ceases to be a member, the vacancy shall be filled by fresh appointment [* * *].
(9) No person shall be, or shall continue to be, a member who-
(a) is or at any time has been convicted an offence which, in the opinion of the Government, is an offence involving moral turpitude; or
(b) is of unsound mind and stands so adjudged by a competent Court; or
(c) is or has at any time been adjudged insolvent; or
(d) absents himself from three consecutive meetings of the Board without leave of absence from the Chairman.
(10) The Board may appoint one or more committees consisting wholly of members of the Board or wholly of other persons or partly of members of the Board and partly of other persons, as it thinks fit, for the purpose of discharging such of its functions as may be delegated to such committee or committees by the Board.
(11) The Board may, subject to the previous approval of the Government, make by-laws for regulating its own procedure and the procedure of a committee appointed by it under sub-section (10) and the conduct of all business to be transacted by it or a committee.
(12) No act or proceeding of the Board shall be invalid merely on the ground of the existence of any vacancy in, or any defect in the constitution of, the Board.