2. In this Act, unless there is anything repugnant in the subject or context,-
(1) ''agricultural lands'' include lands used for the growing of vegetables and the like but does not include fruit gardens, orchards or homestead lands;
(2) ''canal'' means a canal as defined in clause (1)of section 3 of the Irrigation Act, 1876
(3) "Collector" includes any officer specially appointed by the Government to perform all or any of the functions of a Collector under this Act;
(4) "dead or decayed river" includes any river into which, or along any part of which, water has ceased to flow as freely as it would have flowed if it had not been diverted or obstructed whether owing to natural causes or as a result of interference by man, and includes also any depression which at one time formed part of a riverbed but through which there is no longer any perennial flow of water;
(5) "improvement work'' means any work of improvement constructed before [the 26th day of March, 1971,] by the Government or constructed or proposed to be constructed after that date by the Government which the Government has, by notification, declared to be an improvement work for the purposes of this Act;
(6) ''notification'' means a notification published in the official Gazette.
(7) "notified area" means any area in respect of which the Government has, by a notification issued under sub-section (1) of section 5, declared its intention to impose an improvement levy, and includes any part of such area;
(8) ''period of objection'' means a period mentioned in a notification under this Act within which objections or suggestions will be received;
(9) ''prescribed'' means prescribed by rules made under this Act; and
(10) ''rent'' and ''tenant'' have the same meanings as in the
[* * *] State Acquisition and Tenancy Act, 1950.