Laws of Bangladesh

The Muslim Family Laws Ordinance, 1961

( Ordinance NO. VIII OF 1961 )

9. (1) If any husband fails to maintain his wife adequately, or where there are more wives than one, fails to maintain them equitably, the wife, or all or any of the wives, may in addition to seeking, any other legal remedy available apply to the Chairman who shall constitute an Arbitration Council to determine the matter, and the Arbitration Council may issue a certificate specifying the amount which shall be paid as maintenance by the husband.
(2) A husband or wife may, in the prescribed manner, within the prescribed period, and on payment of the prescribed fee, prefer an application for revision of the certificate 1[* * *] to the 2[Assistant Judge] concerned and his decision shall be final and shall not be called in question in any Court.
(3) Any amount payable under sub-section (1) or (2), if not paid in due time, shall be recoverable as arrears of land revenue.

  • 1
    The commas and words “, in the case of West Pakistan, to the Collector and, in the case of East Pakistan,” were omitted by section 6 of the Muslim Family Laws (Amendment) Ordinance, 1982 (Ordinance No. XXI of 1982)
  • 2
    The words “Assistant Judge” were substituted for the word “Munsif” by section 2 of the Civil Courts (Amendment) Act, 1987 (Act No. XIV of 1987)
Copyright © 2019, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division
Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs