Establishment of Maritime Tribunal
27. (1) For the purpose of this Act, the Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, establish one or more Maritime Tribunal(s).
(2) If more than one Tribunal is established under sub-section (1), the jurisdiction of each of the Tribunals shall be determined in the notification of establishment of Tribunals.
(3) Until the establishment of Tribunal under this section, the Government may, by notification in the official Gazette, assign any District Judge or Additional District Judge of any district to perform the duties of the Maritime Tribunal, in addition to his own duties.
(4) The Tribunal shall be formed by a District Judge or Additional District Judge appointed by the Government in consultation with the Supreme Court.
(5) The Tribunal shall sit at such place or places which is determined by the Government and conduct its activities.
Copyright © 2019, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division
Ministry of Law, Justice and Parliamentary Affairs