Maintenance of medical Register
20. (1) The Council shall maintain a Register of medical practitioners possessing qualifications which are recognised medical qualifications for the purposes of this Act, and may by a regulation direct the necessary particulars to be entered in the Register:
Provided that on or after a date to be fixed by the Council, no medical practitioner shall be registered on the Register unless-
(a) he has been provisionally registered under the second proviso to this sub section and has thereafter been engaged in employment in a resident capacity in one or more approved hospitals or approved institutions in medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology, jointly or severally, for such period as may be prescribed by the Council; or
(b) he has worked in such appointment or appointments as, in the opinion of the Council, may be deemed to have provided him with experience of the practice of medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology not less extensive than that required under clause (a):
Provided further that on and after the date fixed under the above proviso, every person possessing a recognised medical qualification shall be entitled to be provisionally registered in a separate part of the Register on his furnishing proof to the effect that he has been selected for a resident appointment in an approved hospital or approved institution, and he shall be deemed for all purposes to be a registered medical practitioner while he is acting in any such capacity, but not otherwise:
Provided further that the name of any person provisionally registered shall, upon his full registration as medical practitioner, be removed from the separate part of the Register.
(2) On and after a date to be fixed by the Council, any person who is for the time being provisionally registered under this Act and practises medicine, surgery, obstetrics and gynaecology elsewhere than in an approved institution or approved hospital, shall, on enquiry made by the Council in this behalf, be liable to the removal of his name from the Register till such time he produces a solemn undertaking to desist from such practice.
(3) The Council shall maintain in the Register a separate list of medical practitioners possessing registrable medical licences or diplomas which are included in the Fourth Schedule, and may by a regulation direct the necessary particulars to be entered in the list.
(4) The Council shall maintain a Register of the medical practitioners who passed from a private medical institution, and may by a regulation direct the necessary particulars to be entered in the Register.
(5) The Council shall maintain a Register of the medical practitioners possessing registrable medical pass certificates under sub section (2) of section 14, and may by a regulation direct the necessary particulars to be entered in the Register.