Power to inspect and verify weights and measures
16. (1) The authorised person may at any reasonable time, inspect and verify with a secondary standard or a working standard or, as the case may be, with a weighing instrument or a measuring instrument prescribed for the purpose, any weight, measures, weighing instrument or measuring instrument which is used in any transaction of trade or commerce or is in possession of any person or is found on any premises for such use, and may, for the purpose of such inspection and verification enter into or upon any place of premises and require any trader or any employee or agent of a trader to produce before him, or, in case of non compliance with the requirement, search for, any weight measure, weighing instrument or measuring instrument or any document or record relating thereto.
(2) For the purpose of verifying any weight, measure, weighing instrument or measuring instrument under sub section (1), the authorised person may verify or cause to be verified the weight or measure of any article sold or delivered in the course of any transaction of trade or commerce.
(3) Where any weight, measure, weighing instrument or measuring instrument or any other article in relation to which trade or commerce has taken place or is intended to take place is inspected and verified under sub section (1) and is not found to be what is purports to be, the authorised person may seize or detain the same.
(4) Where any article seized under sub section (3) are subject to speedy or natural decay, the authorised person may dispose of such article in such manner as may be specified by the Government.
(5) Every search or seizure made shall be carried out in accordance with the provisions of the Code of Criminal Procedure, 1898
(Act V of 1898), relating to searches and seizures made under that Code.
(6) Every false or unverified weight or measure or article seized under sub-section (3) shall be liable to be forfeited to the [Institution]:
Provided that an unverified weight or measure shall not be forfeited to the [Institution] if the person from whom such weight or measure was seized gets the same verified and stamped within such times as may be prescribed.