Certificate of Registry
406. (1) Every sailing vessel shall be registered in accordance with the provisions of this section.
(2) A sailing vessel registered at any time before the commencement of this Chapter at any port in Bangladesh under any law for the time being in force shall, for period of six months from such commencement or for such further period as may be specified in this behalf by the Government, be deemed to be registered under this Chapter and be recognised as a sailing vessel registered in Bangladesh and, if she is not registered under this Chapter within such period, shall be liable to be forfeited to the Government.
(3) The owner of every sailing vessel shall make an application in the prescribed form to the Registrar for the grant to him of a Certificate of Registry in respect of the vessel, and shall cause the tonnage of the vessel to be ascertained in the prescribed manner.
(4) Registrar may make such inquiry as he thinks fit with respect to the particulars contained in such application and shall enter in a register, to be called the Sailing Vessels Register, the following particulars in respect of the vessel, namely:
(a) the name of the sailing vessel, place where she was built, and the port to which she belongs;
(b) the rig, type and tonnage of the vessel;
(c) the name, occupation and address of the owner;
(d) the number assigned to the vessel;
(e) the mortgages, if any, effected by the owner in respect of the vessel; and
(f) such other particulars as may be prescribed.
(5) After the particulars in respect of the vessel have been entered in the Sailing Vessels Register under sub section (4), the Registrar shall grant to the applicant a Certificate of Registry in the prescribed form on payment of a fee according to such scale as may be prescribed having regard to the tonnage of the vessel.
(6) A sailing vessel which is required to be registered under this Chapter but is not so registered shall be detained by the Principal Officer, Surveyor or Collector of Customs until the Certificate of Registry is produced.
(7) The owner or master or skipper of every sailing vessel which is required to be registered under this Chapter, but has not been so registered shall be liable to pay a fine which may extend to ten thousand Taka.