An Ordinance to provide for the survey, registration and control of navigation of vessels plying on inland waters.
WHEREAS it is expedient to provide for the survey, registration and control of navigation of vessels plying on inland waters consistently with the present day requirements and for that purpose to replace the existing law relating to such vessels;
NOW, THEREFORE, in pursuance of the Proclamations of the 20th August, 1975 and the 8th November, 1975, and in exercise of all powers enabling him in that behalf, the President is pleased to make and promulgate the following Ordinance:-
CHAPTER I PRELIMINARY
1. Short title
CHAPTER II REGISTRATION AND SURVEY
3. Inland ships to be surveyed and registered
4. Places of survey and registry
5. Powers of surveyors and registrars
5A. Approval of design and plan of an inland ship
5B. Construction Survey, etc.
5C. Delegation of functions to the Classification Society, etc.
5D. Marking of Ship
6. Survey fee, etc.
7. Declaration of surveyor
9. Grant of certificate of survey
10. Certificate of survey to be affixed in conspicuous part of inland ship
11. Duration of certificate of survey
12. Renewal of certificate of survey
13. Delivery of expired or cancelled certificate
14. Power for Government to direct survey by more than one surveyor
15. Power for Government to order a second survey
16. Division of duties when more than one surveyor employed
17. Application for registration
18. Grant of certificate of registration
19. Display of registration number
20. Maintenance of book of registry
21. Certificate of registry to be carried on board
22. Loss, etc. of certificate of registry
23. Notice in respect of loss, etc. of ship
24. Change of ownership
25. Ownership acquired outside Bangladesh to be reported to registrar
26. Transfer of registered inland ship
27. Registration of ship transferred to Bangladesh national
28. Registration, etc., in case of loss, etc., of certificate of transfer
29. Ships when altered are to be registered anew
30. Duration of certificate of registry, etc.
31. Submission of report regarding registry, etc.
32. Reciprocity in the matter of recognition of certificates of survey and registry
33. Voyage of ships without certificate of survey prohibited
1CHAPTER III MANNING, EXAMINATION AND CERTIFICATION
35. Categories of inland ship
36.Certificate of Competency
37. Manning of inland ship
37A. Uniform and identity card for the crew of inland ship
37B. Training of inland engineers, masters, engine-drivers, etc.
38. Appointment of examiners, etc.
39. Grant of certificate of competency
40. Certificate to be made in duplicate
41. Loss of certificate
42. Suspension and cancellation of certificate
CHAPTER IV SHIPPING CASUALTIES
44. Shipping casualty and report thereof
45. Inquiry into shipping casualty
46. Trial of offences
47. Constitution of Marine Court
48. Marine Court to have powers of a Magistrate of the first class
49. Procedure for trial
50. Arrest of witnesses
51. Power to investigate into charge of incompetency, etc.
52. Special powers of Courts
53. Report by Court to Government
CHAPTER V PROTECTION OF VESSELS AND PASSENGERS
54. Plying without route permit[, time table, fare table and printed ticket] prohibited
54A. Plying in coastal water without permission prohibited
54B. Voyage without Telecommunication Equipment prohibited
55. Voyage during storm signal prohibited
56. Measures for protection against explosion, fire, etc.
56A. Compliance with rules for preventing collisions, etc.
57. Carriage of dangerous goods
57A. Causing obstruction, etc. on any navigable water route prohibited
58. Passenger ship not to carry cargo on upper deck, etc.
58A. Voyage without Insurance or Marine Casualty Trust Fund coverage prohibited
59. Maximum and minimum fares and freights
60. Publication of fare and freight tables
CHAPTER VA PROTECTION OF INLAND WATER FROM POLLUTION
60A. Inland Water Pollution Prohibited
60B. Pollution prevention certificate(s) to be carried on board